3. Abide by the Tripartite Guidelines on Fair Employment Practices
The Tripartite Guidelines on Fair Employment Practices help organisations adopt fair and merit-based employment practices. All Singapore-based organisations are expected to abide by the Tripartite Guidelines.
The Tripartite Guidelines apply to the following employment practices:
- Job advertisements
- Job application forms
- Job interviews
- Grievance handling
- Performance management
Before you start any retrenchment exercise, please refer to the Tripartite Advisory on Managing Excess Manpower and Responsible Retrenchment (PDF) for alternative solutions.
Where retrenchments are necessary, you must abide by the following Tripartite Guidelines on retrenchment.
- Always consult the unions (if your company is unionised).
- Consider alternative solutions (e.g. job redesign or upskilling).
- Use fair and objective criteria to select employees for retrenchment, and be empathetic.
- Provide retrenched employees with support (e.g. financial assistance or job opportunities with other organisations).