WSH Council Supports Companies in Meeting Their "Heightened Safety" Requirements
01 Sep 2022 Announcements
The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) has introduced new measures to strengthen workplace safety and health (WSH) and improve WSH oversight. These new measures and a six-month “Heightened Safety” period, from 1 September 2022 to 28 February 2023, are needed given the alarming rise in workplace fatalities this year.
As part of this “Heightened Safety” period, MOM requires the following companies to conduct a mandatory Safety Time-out (STO) anytime during 1 to 15 September 2022:
• All companies in the construction, manufacturing, marine, process or transport and storage industries; and
• All companies in other industries, which use heavy or industrial vehicles (e.g. buses, lorries, prime movers, forklifts, cranes, wheel-loader).
WSH Council wants to help companies to fulfil their “Heightened Safety” requirements.
For the STO, companies can refer to the Safety Time-Out Checklist (English) or the Safety Time-Out Checklist (Mandarin) for the list of activities that MOM requires to be completed by 15 September 2022.
To build WSH capability or if you need guidance on doing the STO, do tap on:
• StartSAFE – a free on-site WSH consultancy programme for small and medium-sized enterprises.
• bizSAFE – a nationally-recognised five-step programme that helps companies build WSH capabilities; and
• Resources – for info on past accidents and other resources.