Operating Forklifts Safely
Understand the safe operation and use of forklifts.
Workers must carry out a pre-shift or pre-operational check to ensure the forklift is in a good and safe working condition. Report any defect or problem immediately to the supervisor.
Some checklist items include:
- Controls and steering
- Tyres' condition
- Foot brake
- Lighting equipment
- Rear view mirror
- Reverse warning buzzer
Do’s and Don’ts
When operating a forklift, workers must adhere to the following to protect themselves and those around them.
Workers should not…
To protect forklift operators and those around forklifts, you should ensure that:
- The appropriate forklift is selected for the job;
- The forklift is in a safe condition for use;
- The forklift is maintained regularly;
- The forklift is used by authorised and trained operator; and
- Routes are demarcated for the forklift to move around safely. Please refer to Vehicular Safety to learn more about workplace traffic management and planning.