Operating Forklifts Safely
Understand the safe operation and use of forklifts.
You must carry out a pre-shift or operational check to ensure the forklift is in a good and safe working condition. Report any defect or problem immediately to your supervisor.
Some checklist items include:
- Controls and steering
- Tyres condition
- Foot brake
- Lighting equipment
- Rear view mirror
- Reverse warning buzzer
Do’s and don’ts
During forklift operation, you must adhere to the following to protect yourself and those around you.
You should not…
To protect forklift operators and those around forklifts, you should ensure that:
- the appropriate forklift is selected for the job.
- the forklift is in a safe condition for use.
- the forklift is maintained regularly.
- the forklift is used by authorised and trained operator.
- routes are demarcated for the forklift to move around safely. Refer to Vehicular Safety to learn more about workplace traffic management and planning.
For more information
Refer to the following resources: